Monday, March 31, 2014

Review: It Takes A Scandal by Caroline Linden


It Takes A Scandal by Caroline Linden
Book Two of the Scandals series
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: April 29, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Sometimes It Takes a Scandal...

Abigail Weston has everything: beauty, wit, and one of the largest dowries in England. Her parents hope she'll wed an earl. Abigail hopes for a man who wants her desperately and passionately. But the money seems to blind every man she meets—except one.

Sebastian Vane has nothing. He came home from war with a shattered leg to find his father mad and his inheritance gone. He's not a fit suitor for anyone, let alone an heiress. But Abigail lights up his world like a comet, bright and beautiful and able to see him instead of his ruined reputation. And it might end happily ever after...

To Reveal Your Heart's Desire

...Until Benedict Lennox begins courting Abigail. Ben is everything Sebastian isn't—wealthy, charming, heir to an earl. Sebastian won't give up the only girl he's ever loved without a fight, but Abigail must choose between the penniless gentleman who moves her heart, and the suitor who is everything her parents want.

What I Liked:

I haven't read many adult books for the year so far, which makes me a little sad, because I usually read a good amount of historical romance adult books. I love historical romance books, but I guess it's not the season for them yet? Well, in at any rate, I really enjoyed this book. The first book in the series was great, and this second book was AWESOME!

Sebastian is a young but injured war veteran with no money, no father, no wife, nothing. His father was a raving madman who disappeared, and everyone thinks that Sebastian killed him. They also think that Sebastian stole money from Lord Stratford, a rich lord whose son was friends with Sebastian. Sebastian is reserved and calm, but everyone thinks that he is reclusive and guilty. 

Abigail and her recently rich family moves to Richmond for the summer. Abigail and Penelope (sisters) want romance and passion. Abigail meets the brooding and mysterious Sebastian, and becomes fascinated with him. They are strangely alike, despite the fact that she is bubbly and innocent, and he is mysterious and dark. I LOVE the dynamic between the two of them - they are night and day. That seems really cliche, but I love this relationship. I feel like that's how I am - vivacious and bubbly - and the guy I like? He has a really great sense of humor, but he also has a "bad", sexy side. Love.

Sebastian is seriously the best part of this book. I LOVE him so much. He is dark, mysterious, brooding, and actually really honorable. I love his perspectives, and I love how Abigail sees him. She is fascinated by him, but she also cares for him greatly. I love how gradual and beautiful it is, the development of their relationship. Sebastian is just about perfect in a completely non-perfect way. His story is tragic and horrible, but he demonstrates true honor and respect throughout the book.

So I loved the romance. I loved the story of this book - it deals with the development of the relationship between Abigail and Sebastian, but also Abigail's personal life with her family, and who her parents want her to marry. I was quite intrigued with the story, even if it seemed a little bit long. The mystery of the book - what happened to Sebastian's father, where is the money, what happened with Sebastian and Samantha, what Benedict would do with Abigail... there were so many unknowns in this book, and I wanted to figure out everything! I love it when a historical romance novel does that - it's not just about the romance. Although, the romance is seriously breathtaking.

Basically, I really enjoyed this book. I loved Linden's first book in this series, and I'm really happy that the second book in the series lives up to the first book - in fact, to me, it's even better than the first book!

What I Did Not Like:

I can't think of any specific that I didn't like about this book. I really liked it! It's getting four stars from me, but it's definitely going to be a favorite historical romance novel of the year.

Would I Recommend It:

YES! I really enjoyed the first book, and I enjoyed the second book even more! Granted, they both got the same rating, but I seriously liked this book a lot. The male protagonist was definitely the best part of this book, and yet the book itself was simply wonderful. If you love historical romance novels, then you should DEFINITELY check out this book! This will most likely make my top ten of 2014, in terms of historical romance novels. 

Rating:

4 stars. This was a really wonderful book! I haven't read a historical romance book in a while, so this one was a welcome change. And it was seriously great!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. I love historical romance and this one sounds a great fit for me. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Sophia. Thank YOU!

      Delete
  2. I think I liked this one more than the first one, too!
    I just loved that Sebastian actually tries to win (back) Abigail's love instead of going with the "woe is me, she's better off the other guy because my life is kinda terrible, and I can't give her what she deserves" speel. I appreciate a hero who'll at least tries even if he doesn't think he deserves her haha.
    Lovely review, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I think I want to re-read it, which is rare. And seriously! I HATE THAT TROPE SO MUCH. Sebastian = so much love.

      Thank you, Cyn!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!